Thursday, February 12, 2009

little hungry monster.

My morning started at 7 a.m. for feeding time. Laila was ready to latch on to my milkiepops as she normally does every three hours. She seemed to be getting enough. A little over ten minutes on each side and she was always done. I let her keep sucking until she pulls away (unless she starts chomping down because she is falling asleep). She was so alert and seemed to be having one of her good days. She fell back asleep and I awoke her to change her out of her pj's so we can go visit some friends. Before we left it was feeding time again. Where the three hours go...I have no idea. She was all set in her carseat and calm as can be. She loves riding in the car...puts her right to sleep. Once we got to our location, she started whaling! I figured it was just because she got woken up from dreamland. Luckily I had brought a bottle of breastmilk. She took to it for about 10 seconds then pulled away. I didn't know what was wrong. She never screams that loud. I figured maybe it was gas or her diaper needed changing. Still didn't do anything...she was screaming bloody murder. I then put her back in the carseat and headed for home. We were in the car and she was still screaming. I stepped in the door and popped her onto a boob. She must of still been hungry because she was sucking away. Not for long though...she pulled away and started up those lungs again. We always have formula in the house just in case since we had the situation in the hospital and we had to suppliment her then. So I grabbed some Similac to see if that's what was bothering her. She scarfed down two, two ounce bottles in a matter of 30 seconds. Laila must of been starving and the breastmilk wasn't cutting it for her. The doc said in the hospital that we might need to suppliment with her because she was a decent size baby. She loves to eat...just like her mama. Even after the formula, she was still a little hungry, more so tired and she was fighting it. Finally after a good hour she fell asleep. Three hours go by, she awakes...and ready to eat again.
We talked with Dr. Pantages (Laila's Papou). He said that this is the time that she is going through her growth spurt and it is totally normal. So for now...we decided to do both breastfeeding and formula. Plus I am still pumping. She eats so much she doesn't give my milk any time to produce back up, which makes pumping hard. And then after I pump, she gets hungry and I have no supply left for her. Errr. Breastfeeding craziness! But I'm not giving up on it. I will do the breastfeeding and we will suppliment at night or whenever she seems to need it. I have a good 9 ounces of breastmilk saved in little baggies. Those seem to go pretty fast though. This is all a part of motherhood...and you know what...even though I feel like a walking zombie some days...I am totally loving it.

No comments: